5th Grade Science
Chapter 1: Study Guide
1. You will need to identify 4 ways mountains are formed. Pushing up, pulling apart, sliding past one another, and a volcano!
2. Name a famous highest mountain range.
3. Footprints on the moon last for hundreds of years because there is no wind or water to erode footprints on the moon.
4. The center of the Earth is the hottest part. It is a solid because of the great pressure at the center of the Earth.
5. Earth’s plates are said to “float” because the plates float on the soft rock of the mantle.
6. North America and Europe are getting farther apart because the plates are moving away from each other.
7. Fossils are records of organisms that died long ago, and scientists use fossils to learn about animals and plants from the past.
8. You would expect to find earthquakes at the Ring of Fire because it is located along the boundaries of a plate.
9. If the Earth’s plates stopped moving eventually there would be no more mountains with sharp peaks. Mountains would become rounded or flat because of weathering and erosion.
10. Fossils found in rock from some of the highest mountains must have been under the sea and were pushed up by plate pressures in the mountains.
11. Two plates moving apart and magma coming through the gap between them can form islands.
There will be 4 extra credit questions on the test.